Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Hinc lucem et pocula sacra (August 11-14, 2006)

I flew back to London and tried in vain to get my Schengen visa. I decided to pay a visit to my friend Stelios at Cambridge. I was surprised to find out that the trains do run on time in the UK. What's the big fuss then? Coming from Yale, I quite enjoyed Cambridge, after which many Yale buildings are unabashedly copied. I even got a behind-the-scenes tour of the vertebrate zoology museum collections, courtesy of Dr Michael Brooke. I was quite taken aback as most if not all colleges at Cambridge charge visitors to come take a look. This is ridiculous. I thought this was after all an educational institution.


Stelios and me at Larissa's



This is one of the newer colleges of the 31. Quite nondescript and nothing spectacular about it.


King's college Dining Hall. Apparently Harry Potter was filmed at Trinity's?


Punting on R. Cam, which I didn't get to do. Go figure!














King’s College Chapel (partially obscured by the Gibbs’ Building), seen from the Backs















King's College




















King's College Chapel




















The medevial Great Gate, Trinity College. Note the sceptre held by the Henry VIII has been replaced with a broken chair's leg by a clever student.




Stelios at St. John's



At Pepys Library, Magdalene College



One of the few surviving specimens of the Great Auk at the VZ museum collections, where they even have some Geospiza specimens dating back to the 1835 Beagle expedition.


The cool-looking interior of Judge Business School


The Gate of Honour, Gonville and Caius (pron. Keys) college, through which graduating students pass on their way to the neighbouring Senate House to receive their degrees.

No comments: