Friday, September 22, 2006

Ambleside and Great Gable, English Lake District (24-25 August, 2006)

From Scotland, I finally reached the idyllic Lake District to present a talk at the Rank Prize Symposium on Metamaterials in Nature and Technology. I stayed at Storrs Hall right on the shores of L. Windermere. Legend has it that W. Wordsworth once had a public recital of Daffodils here. After being pampered at the conference, I reluctantly left for Ambleside, where I did some local hikes. The next day, Claire met me and we drove up to do some hiking near the lovely hamlet of Wasdale Head, home of England's greatest liar, Will Ritson. I did get a taste of the local brews that this side of England is famous for, at the Wasdale Head Inn pub.


My room at Storrs Hall, overlooking the lake (unfortunately the window is overexposed on my disposable Kodak camera).


Lake Windermere, Ambleside




High-res photos courtesy: Claire M.








Claire and me atop the Great Gable (899 m/ 2949 ft).


It started out as a bright sunny morning, unusual for England. But it got quite cold once we reached the summit. Thanks to Claire's excellent sandwich, we had reserve energy to burn to keep us warm.








I have to say I had my first (veg.) vindaloo at Leeds and I probably met my match - it was too hot even for me...

No comments: