Sunday, November 05, 2006

Mahabalipuram, the Shore temples of South India (Aug. 2006)

I was grounded in India, as I waited for my US VISA to arrive. But, I made the most of my stay by visiting the 7th century Pallava port of Mahabalipuram which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its shore temples.


I look like I came down from playing volleyball.
Well, I couldn't help but remembering Pulp fiction:


THE WOLF

Perfect. Perfect. We couldn't've

planned this better. You guys look

like...what do they look like,

Jimmie?



JIMMIE

Dorks. They look like a couple of

dorks.



You know what I'm talking about!







This is a contemporary light house, but the Pallavas had their own lighthouse back in their day (8th cent.?)


Panorama showing the new and the old lighthouses!



The famous Mahisasuramardhini scene (Goddess Parvati decapitating the bull-headed demon) from Hindu mythology in exquisit bas-relief.


The Pancharathas (5-chariots) carved from monolithic stones.


My main man.

No comments: